Committees and Parliamentary Associations
Serving on Committees
Bills are sent to a relevant committee for detailed study before being reported back to the Senate. Committees are able to call witnesses to help them understand the legislation and its potential impact.
Committees can also receive a mandate from the Senate to pursue longer-term studies on issues relevant to their policy area. Successful studies can be translated into government policy, such as when the Mental Health Commission of Canada was created in response to the 2006 report of the Senate’s Social Affairs Committee.
You can find more information on the Senate Committees I currently am a member of:
- Standing Committee Banking, Trade and Commerce (Chair of the Committee)
- Standing Senate Committee on National Finance
Contributing to parliamentary associations
I am a member of several associations created to develop Canada’s relationship with other countries:
- Canada-United States Interparliamentary Group
- Canada-Europe Parliamentary Association
- Canada-China Legislative Association (*Vice-Chair of the association)
- Canada-Japan Inter-Parliamentary Group